Saba Shahid is a public policy and human development researcher. At CPPG she is responsible for expanding the Centre’s academic research activities on diverse public policy topics such as China’s rise and the development of the CPEC, democratic governance structures, urban planning, public health and human development. She has been on the editorial board of the Centre’s Quarterly Research & News publication. Saba is a coordinator for the Centre’s research seminars and roundtable events and plays an active role in the outreach strategies for CPPG where she has often been asked to liaise with a variety of stakeholders conducting research projects that align with the Centre’s objectives. As a result she has fostered successful working relations between CPPG and our partner organizations including WWF Pakistan, Punjab SDG Unit, ICRC, and the Global Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program of the University of Pennsylvania to name a few.
Education: MSc Local Economic Development, London School of Economics and Political Science (UK)
BA Economics, Bilkent University (Turkey)
Sustainable Development/ Human Development Policy, Top-down Bottom-up Policy Integration, CPEC and China’s Rise, Covid-19 and Public Health
Publications, Webinars and Conference Presentations (make sure the publications or their links are on CPPG website so they show automatically here, if you don’t have them, ask the concerned)
Saba Shahid and Bushra Arfeen, March 2021. Bridging the Gender and Digital Divide in Post COVID-19 Pakistan: Empowering Women Through ICT. Lahore: Centre for Public Policy and Governance, FC College (A Chartered University).
Saba Shahid, “Six Months of Covid-19: Public Policy Lessons from Pakistan’s Case” in Shoba Suri, Ed., Rebooting the World: Six Months of COVID-19, September 2020, Observer Research Foundation.
Saba Shahid, August 2020. Ensuring an Equitable Distribution of the Covid-19 Vaccination in Pakistan. Lahore: Centre for Public Policy and Governance, FC College (A Chartered University).
Saba Shahid, May 2020. Covid-19: Policy Options for Pakistan. Lahore: Centre for Public Policy and Governance, FC College (A Chartered University).
Saeed Shafqat and Saba Shahid. 2020. Changing Dynamics of China-India Relations: CPEC and Prospects for Pakistan. Lahore: Centre for Public Policy and Governance, FC College (A Chartered University).
Saeed Shafqat and Saba Shahid. 2018. China Pakistan Economic Corridor: Demands, Dividends and Directions. Lahore: Centre for Public Policy and Governance, FC College (A Chartered University).
Shafqat, Saeed and Saba Shahid. 2017. “Migration, Urbanization and Security: Challenges of Governance and Development in Balochistan.” Lahore: Centre for Public Policy and Governance, FC College (A Chartered University).
Mahbub ul Haq Research Centre. 2016. Co-author “Women’s Empowerment in Pakistan.” In Human Development in South Asia 2016: Empowering Women in South Asia, 19th Annual Report. Lahore: Mahbub ul Haq Research Centre.
Mahbub ul Haq Research Centre. 2015. “Health for All in South Asia.” In Human Development in South Asia 2015: The Economy and the People, 18th Annual Report, 137-167. Lahore: Mahbub ul Haq Human Development Centre.
Contributing author for UNDP’s Pakistan National Human Development Report, 2017. “Unleashing the Potential of a Young Pakistan.” Islamabad: United Nations Development Programme Pakistan.
Saba Shahid, “The Heirlooms of Zarina Begum”, Museum of Material Memory, 4 October 2020. http://www.museumofmaterialmemory.com/the-heirlooms-of-zarina-begum/
Articles & Opinion Pieces
Saba Shahid. “US Denial will not stop China’s Rise”. May 1st 2019. Daily Times. https://dailytimes.com.pk/385823/us-denial-will-not-stop-chinas-rise/
Saba Shahid. “Harnessing the CPEC Tiger”. Pakistan Politico. (July 2018). https://pakistanpolitico.com/harnessing-the-china-pakistan-economic-corridor-cpec-tiger/
Saba Shahid. “The Abrogation of Article 370: A need to Re-visit Alistair Lamb’s Analysis of the Kashmir Dispute”. Pakistan Politico. (December 2019). https://pakistanpolitico.com/the-abrogation-of-article-370-a-need-to-revisit-alistair-lambs-analysis-of-the-kashmir-dispute/
Host/Moderator for CPPG’s Webinar Series:
- “Policy Responses to Covid-19”—Dr. Imdad Hussain and Dr. Raja M. Ali Saleem—9th May 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/663100181200039
- “Economic Recovery, the Role of Philanthropy and Private Sector Responses to Covid-19”—Dr. Erfa Iqbal—2nd June 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/3033407176747948
- “Universal Health Coverage and Covid-19”—Dr. Samia Altaf and Maheen Dhanani—23rd June 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/3110528952367840
- “Is there a thing called Islamic Public Administration”—Dr. Raja M. Ali Saleem—4th July 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/713236382798827
- “Lessons for Water Diplomacy—Case of River Ravi in Indian and Pakistani Punjab”—Dr. Medha Bisht and Sohaib Anwar—11th August 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/2556329968013591
- “Evidence Based Policymaking during Covid-19: The Media and Government Public Messaging”—Bilal Lakhani—18th August 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/3304117626342041
- “Reflections on 9/11, the World Order and Impact on Pakistan”—Dr. Saeed Shafqat—11th September 2020 https://www.facebook.com/156970051040359/videos/3631498160218309
- “State Elections in Bihar”—Dr. Raja M. Ali Saleem—6th November 2020 https://www.facebook.com/CPPGFCCU/videos/1217512758634269
- “The CPEC’s Impact on Pakistan’s Cultural Hybridization Through Media”—Dr. Kiran Hassan—17th December 2020 (Zoom Event)
- “Bridging the Gender and Digital Divide in Post COVID-19 Pakistan: Empowering Women Through ICT”—Panel discussion with Nighat Dad, Burhan Rasool and Salma Butt—26th March 2021
- Presented the paper “Changing Dynamics of China-India Relations: CPEC and Prospects for Pakistan” alongside Dr. Shafqat at Centre for Public Policy and Governance. 22nd January 2020.
- Presented on “CPEC: Local Developments and Regional Imperatives” to a delegation of Sri Lankan public officials hosted by HEC Pakistan and NSPP alongside Dr. Shafqat at Centre for Public Policy and Governance. 25th September 2019
- Co-Presented with Dr. Saeed Shafqat on “China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC): Expecting Socio-Economic Dividends without Building National Consensus” at the conference The Great Transformation? The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor and Culture, Economy and Society in Pakistan jointly organized by LUMS and the University of Nottingham (6th April 2018)
- Co-Presented with Dr. Saeed Shafqat on the conditions around the economic benefits of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and the impact on Pakistan’s development at the workshop on Pakistan: The Long View by the CPPG in collaboration with the Wilson Chair in Pakistan Studies at the University of Texas at Austin (2ndDec 2016)